Metropolis Radio

"Metropolis" is a music-talk radio with a general format that broadcasts on the territory of the whole country. In addition to music and original shows, its frequency also broadcasts short news. Moreover, up until September 2023, "Metropolis" broadcasted news three times a day produced by the Macedonian editorial staff of "Radio Free Europe".

The legal entity behind "Metropolis Radio" was established in 2005, but during that time it had a different name, owners and a programme centered around folk music. In 2007, the ownership and name of the radio changed, from "Radio Ros" to "Metropolis".

Key facts

Audience Share

Missing Data

Ownership Type

Private

Geographic Coverage

National

Content Type

Free content

Data Publicly Available

ownership data is easily available from other sources, e. g. public registries etc.

2 ♥

Media Companies / Groups

CBC Metropolis Radio

Ownership

Ownership Structure

Darko Gelev owns 50.04% of "Metropolis", while the rest of the radio, 49.96%, is owned by Mile Gjosevski.

Individual Owner

Media Companies / Groups
Facts

General Information

Founding Year

2007

Affiliated Interests Founder

Darko Gelev

Better known by his nickname “Brejk”, is a media owner, businessman and former musician. In addition to "Metropolis Radio", he is the sole owner of Skopje's "City Radio". In fact, that was actually the first media outlet that he started in 2002, which was meant to be a rival to the popular radio "Antenna 5". In public and on the professional social network LinkedIn, Gelev presents himself as the owner of "Club Radio", a music station oriented exclusively around club dance music. However, the official owners of this radio are other people.
Since 2022, he is also the owner of the construction company "Metropola Real Estate". Darko Gelev is also one of the owners of "MZT Investment Group", a company that issues and manages its own, as well as leased real estate.

Affiliated Interests Ceo

Stela Bardo

Is a music DJ and the CEO of "Metropolis Radio". She has been on the Macedonian scene for more than 30 years and has been the editor-in-chief of "Metropolis Radio" since 2014.

Affiliated Interests Editor-In-Chief

Stela Bardo

See above

Contact

Address: 507No.12 , 1000 Skopje

е-mail: info@metropolisradio.com

phone: +38923211334

website: www.metropolisradio.com.mk

Financial Information

Revenue (in Mill. $)

123.208 $ / 7.22 Mln. MKD

Operating Profit (in Mill. $)

770 $ / 45.149 MKD

Advertising (in % of total funding)

87.202 $/ 5.1 Mln. MKD (70.6%)

Market Share

0.0042

Further Information

Meta Data

The ownership structure and the financial reports are based on data recived from Central registry of the Republic of North Macedonia. The documents were received on 18.07.2023 based on a government decision from 2017 for free access for investigative journalists. The financial information is for 2022. For the calculation of the amounts in US dollars, the average exchange rate for 2022 from the National Bank of the Republic of North Macedonia was used.

  • Project by
    BIRN LOGO
  •  
    Global Media Registry
  •  
    Funded by European Union